February 6, 2008

Oh-Oh, February


Darn, It's February.
That means I need to decide whether I'm going to attempt to start seeds this year, or just avoid the hassle and buy all my annuals. I don't have a lovely little sunroom or greenhouse, so seedlings have to go in the window; and in Minnesota we don't have enough sunlight yet to grow strong seedlings, so a grow light is needed during these first months. The timing is always tricky, because the plants may grow too much too fast, and we can't put them outside safely until possibly Mid May. I suppose it's worth a try...so I'll start collecting my little pots and egg cartons and see what I can get started.

...A few seeds I'm starting: Coleus, Zinnia , Chiles, an assortment of tomatoes, Marigolds, and Mexican zucchini.

1 comment:

kt said...

I have equated the experience of starting seeds indoors to raising a litter of puppies, by the time they are mature enough to survive without your help your usually elated to see them go. Have you considered winter sowing outdoors? I myself have not tried it but most gardeners in the North East swear by it. Here is a link that might be helpful. Katy http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/
Oh, I thought your snow looked beautiful and your plants are certainly well protected by that nice white blanket